Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Soloist

I really enjoyed this movie. Jamie Foxx and Robert Downey Jr. both deserve Oscar nominations. I guess I'm just a sap for true stories that have great messages and happy endings. I was also stunned by how many homeless people live in L.A. I sincerely believe they all have a story and this is one man's incredible story.

First time I encountered a homeless man was when I was on a field trip in San Francisco with our high school business club. We left our hotel early in the morning and this shaggy old guy was sleeping in a tiny space between two buildings, littered with empty liquor bottles, vomit and trash every where. I felt so bad for him but yet quite afraid to do anything. I remember thinking "Doesn't he have family somewhere? Do they know this is how he lives now? Is he in this predicament because of the drinking? who knows and who knows what will become of him."
I along with classmates just walked on by gagging.

I personally was left with such a helpless feeling. I think I still feel that way. Never quite knowing what to do. Oh sure I've helped serve food at shelters, given money on occasion but nothing what this newspaper man did in the movie and that's BE A FRIEND.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen anything about this movie but it will definitely go in my Netflix queue. Thanks for the reivew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just blogged about this one, I loved it too!~

    if they had taken out the 4 bad words, it would have been perfect!

    ReplyDelete