Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Running Heroes

I admire anyone who runs like my daughter and her friend Jessie, and of course my hub, daughter Em and Anna (Hey Jonathan do you still run?)

Two years ago I saw this young man running from Bartlett H.S. and I was touched. So this year I grabbed my camera and found him at the same race course.


The first time I saw him he was in the middle of the pack, people yelling and then this young man who is blind holding onto his friends arm as they ran the 3 mile course over rocks, roots, mud and yay- even green soft grass. Running is not easy, let alone when you can't see where you're going. But this guys does it and he's a decent runner. Middle of the pack with a handicap is pretty darn good in my book.

Apparently he fell and when he went down he reached out and grabbed another runner who stumbled and he in turn grabbed someone. Parents starting yelling, not realizing that he was blind and was not intending to harm others. All they saw was arms flailing and boys stumbling.
When I saw him emerge holding onto his friends arm, I started crying. How does this boy participate in this tough sport, not being able to see?


I thought of the Savior. He leads the way. We are on this journey in life and we need Him to guide us on our path just like this blind runner needs a friend to lead the way, to protect and help him.

He is always with us. He has sacrificed for us because of His great love and He wants us to succeed just like this young man did in helping his blind friend.

When he got to the finish line the friend guided the blind young man in front and said, "Good job, you did good"
What more can I say? Yeah he did good, really good.

I thought of this quote - "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." 2 Timothy4:7

1 comment: