Monday, October 18, 2010

Baking Cakes in KigaliBaking Cakes in Kigali by Gaile Parkin

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


A delightful, insightful story for a first time author. I really enjoy reading about other cultures. There were several stories that finally come together in the end. Next time I read this I will write down each character as I come across them. There were lots of characters and I had a hard time keeping track of them, I think because they had unusual names.
This book reminds me of "The Ladies #1 Detective Stories" based in South Africa. Kind of the same matronly wise heroine (Angel) who is the local psychologist but also heals herself by helping others. She finds hope and goodness in her community of survivors. There were a couple of out loud laughing parts which I don't want to give away, but didn't see it coming.

I love how Angel uses the phrase she's a "professional somebody", or he's an "educated somebody"
Or when someone is dead the term "She's late" is used. I have an uncle from the south who says, "She caught the bus" interesting terms for those no longer on earth.

The disturbing part for me is that the Rwandan genocide happened in my lifetime and I never knew anything of it till I watched the movie "Hotel Rwanda" Angel encounters several survivors and tells their story. It's a great story of hope.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment